Maple Heights Board of Education
Vision and Mission for the District
“Educating Our Students, through Expectations of Excellence, to Prepare them for a Lifetime of Success”
We will seek out the best programs for our students
High expectations and high standards- We believe in being responsible for the daily processes of making decisions and taking actions and standing behind the final results.
We believe in developing an alignment of goals and valuing the different perspectives of our stakeholders in assisting the district’s objectives of meeting the needs of our students.
We believe our approach to Diversity and equity involves student centered and culturally centered practices based on philosophies of social justice and equal outcomes for all students
Equal means the same, fair means giving individuals what they need, we will always try to be fair but this means things won’t feel equal.
Goal: Increase the level of student achievement through high quality research-based instruction to prepare all students for college & career readiness.
Purpose: Maple Heights School District is focused on teaching students’ skills that will transcend college and career readiness, emphasizing relationships in the instruction and building life related skills. To provide the environment for every student to achieve their highest level of academic performance. Utilizing state guidelines and internal data driven measures to gauge student performance based on district-created progress goals.
2. Diversity and Equity
Goal: To provide an equitable learning environment within the structure of each classroom
Purpose: Maple Heights City School District is committed to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion across curriculum, classrooms and hiring practices that will empower, challenge and encourage students to learn and grow personally and academically
Goal: To support and increase parental and community engagement
Purpose: Maple Heights School District will provide an open and engaging relationship with the parents and the community of the City. The District will create an environment that encompasses collaboration and transparency for our students, families and the community members.
4. Communication (Internal)
Goal: To create and maintain effective internal District communication
Purpose: The Maple Heights School District is committed to developing a more cohesive communication culture that creates a collaborative environment between the District and its employees by integrating a more comprehensive process for open lines of communication.
Goal: To provide financial accountability and transparency in the District
Purpose: Maple Heights School District will manage the District’s finances in a secured and sustainable process from our stakeholders of the local, state and federal government. We will be good stewards of the finances and allocate resources accordingly while supporting academic excellence and expanding resources for students and staff.
5 year Strategic Plan
How will the district employees work to accomplish the expectations of our board and community?
Focus Area 1: Academics
We understand the importance of meeting or exceeding state standards. The state has set standards for Prepared for Success that are measured on the state report. In addition to this, we further understand the importance of ensuring that students are prepared for a lifetime of success when they graduate from the district.
Cohorts- Expand our process of tracking cohorts, starting in the 9th grade.
We understand that high quality assessments will help us establish a measure of accountability in continuing to raise student achievement.
We understand the importance of developing a common methodology for analyzing and reporting data from classroom-based assessments involved in the OIP process. The resulting methodology will allow teams across the district to identify gaps in student knowledge and application of state standards. Moreover, a common methodology of data analysis will help improve the dissemination of academic goals across teams involved in the OIP process, resulting in a higher level of targeted intervention and accountability.
Focus Area 2: Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
In each of these sub categories, we will annually improve the educational experiences for all children through culturally inclusive classroom environments and classroom instruction to reduce disproportionality.
A. Create culturally responsive and equity-informed district policies and practices.
B. Reduce the opportunity gap for structurally disadvantaged students.
C. Creating equitable, inclusive and supportive school environments.
D. Attain diverse and culturally proficient teachers, administrators and staff.
Focus Area 3: Communication
A. Use Technology to Communicate Clearly and Consistently with all Stakeholders
1. We believe that clear and concise communication is the key to establishing and sustaining positive relationships with all stakeholders. We also believe that transmitting multiple methods of communication on various platforms ensures that all stakeholders have access to important district information.
2. We believe that communicating clearly and consistently with all stakeholders is essential to academic success.
B. Establish logistically sound communication systems to ensure effective communication
1. We believe that communication amongst all stakeholders is paramount to the district’s success. We will develop an effective transference of communication that is clearly defined and understood throughout all levels of the organization.
2. We recognize the importance of keeping current, effective technology systems in place and updated in order to maintain the integrity of the District.
3. We will establish clear expectations and protocols for communicating and conducting meetings within each building or department
C. Design District and School Activities that Engage Families and Community Members
1. We believe all stakeholders should be given opportunities to engage with school district Board members, administrators, faculty, and staff. Through varied engagement opportunities stakeholders can ask questions and express concerns about academic performance and operations. Ongoing transparency through regular interactions will allow us to build trust, foster collaboration, and strengthen relationships.
a. Annual State of the School District Address
2. We believe that community engagement plays a critical role in student achievement and building relationships. We plan to provide opportunities for meaningful engagement throughout the school year by way of district- and school-sponsored events.
a. Seek feedback from families, students and community regarding school events and activities
Focus Area 4: Finance
We understand the importance of providing transparent information regarding district finances for all stakeholders, as well as providing an environment for any stakeholder the ability to ask questions if they need clarification and to know where to go for the answers to their questions.
A. We recognize the importance of keeping current, effective financial systems in place and updated in order to maintain the integrity of the District.
B. We will establish clear expectations and protocols for communicating with stakeholders the monthly and annual financial information.
C. We will prepare and present the Five Year Forecast twice a year as required by the Ohio Department of Education as well as preparing and presenting the monthly financial statements, which includes sharing on the District Website.